Potentials…What are all the potentials of all the good things that we listed regarding our Aikido training? In part 1 we listed some of the good things that come about because of our training in the Aikido dojo. Now it is time to take the next step in this process of PPCO; Potential. What are the potentials of our actions? Where might all this good stuff lead?
A positive that was listed is Increased Awareness. What might be all the future benefits of increasing our awareness?
- I might avoid that accident when the other driver slides through the intersection, unable to stop in the icy road conditions, thereby saving injury and money in repairs.
- I might avoid being mugged by the sketchy looking guy hiding in the entry way of that dark building, keeping me physically safe and my cash in my pocket.
- I might make a connection with a work partner that will be of benefit to my work making me a star to my boss and earning me that promotion and raise.
- I might see an opportunity to invest that will increase my wealth and lead to that vacation in Fiji.
- I might see that my relative needs my help but is unable to ask. This leading to a closer relationship with that relative and a good feeling for doing something helpful.
- I might see that my supervisor is having a challenging day and that it would not be a good time to press him on an issue, saving me from being chewed out.
- I might see that my supervisor is feeling light, happy, and powerful today, giving me the opportunity to positively present an issue to her. This leading to more interesting challenges at work.
- I might feel the pain in my stomach that may indicate that I need to cut down on my coffee intake before I end up with bigger health problems.
- I might have less conflict in my day, which will result is less stress resulting in a healthier life.
- I might get more work done.
- I might find more time to spend with my family.
- I might find more time for me.
- I might find new ways to teach that have a positive effect on my students.
Let’s look at the potential of another positive of our Aikido training; Social Network.
- I might meet people I would never have talked to if I did not meet them on the mat.
- I might learn about a new job opportunity that will increase my salary.
- I might find someone that can help me with that project that I am stalled on.
- I might learn about an author that I have never heard of but sounds like something I want to read.
- I might find support in solving a child rearing issue that will reduce my stress and help my child live a more productive life.
- I might laugh more making my day more fun in general.
- I might try a new beer opens my taste buds to different styles of brewing.
- I might find new, better ways to solve problems that leave me more energized and with more spare time.
- I might meet someone that opens a new path for my life, leading me to more fulfilling work.
- I might fall in love.
- I might find new perspectives that keep me interested, increasing my lust for life.
- I might be challenged to open my mind, which opens up all sorts of possibilities.
- I might meet someone that could help me get my message out to a larger audience, thereby, positively effecting more lives.
This is the short list of just two of the positives we listed regarding our Aikido training. Take a few minutes to add your own thoughts to these lists. Then think about why you train in Aikido. All of the positive reasons for coming to the dojo. Then list all the potentials, the benefits, the spin-offs, the opportunities, of those positive reasons.
Now you are beginning to see the true substance and power of our training. Now you begin to see how training ourselves effects the community around us. How the community of our dojo, the community of our Aikido Association, the community of Aikido Practitioners, effects the community that is our society, our civilization.
Next up…How to deal with concerns in a positive and constructive manner.James Landry Dojo Cho Roshinkan Aikido Dojo